Calendar

The green table is moving! I'll begin posting again after we're all set up in our new home!






Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Rock Day!

A year ago today I was so very ready to pop!  Excruciatingly puffy and awkwardly round, I longed for the birth of my little Pete, named months prior by his big sister. I was so anxious that I somehow convinced myself that he was just waiting for his name day, January 18, to make his grand appearance.  January 18 came - and it went.  Baby Pete, who was suppose to come early actually came late, and waited until February to be born!


Happy Confession of St. Peter Day, Baby Pete!  I'm glad you're with us this year!


Maybe you've noticed that my postings have been fewer lately.  Blame Pete!  He's walking now, and the past month has been all about baby proofing and chasing him around the house, mopping the drool and destruction he leaves in his path. Also, I've currently have three writing contracts with Concordia Publishing House, and have been feverishly researching, creating and writing lesson plans.  This week I finished my craft contributions, but still have a lot to do.  I love it!  Unfortunately, I can't share my work with you here.  So make sure your little ones make it to Sunday School next year and you'll get to see what I've been doing these past few weeks! 
Although we've been especially busy, we're still remembering Pete's day, just very scaled back from our usual celebrations.  The Confession of St. Peter is a great day to celebrate, even if you don't have a Baby Pete in the house.  Peter's confession was made in Mark 8:29, when Jesus asks, "Who do you say that I am?" Peter answered Him, "You are the Christ."  This confession is the rock of the Christian church.  Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of the world.
The account continues and Jesus then begins to explain that He, the Son of Man, must suffer many things and be rejected, be killed, and after three days rise again.  Jesus tells the whole story - that He has come to die for the sins of the world.  Ironically, despite Peter's bold confession in verse 29, he then rebukes Jesus foretelling of His death and resurrection by verse 32!
Peter is such an "every man", a lot like my Pete is "all boy". They're both almost stereotypical.  My Pete walks around banging stuff together, not crying when hurt but screaming when he's hungry - all boy!  Biblical Peter is constantly saying and doing things that are just off, awkward, wrong.  He has a good heart, but like us, falls short of truly understanding what it means to call Jesus is the Christ.  I love that the word "Peter" in Greek sounds a lot like the word for "rock".  It fits the  Biblical narrative - Peter uttered the cornerstone rock of our Christian faith only to have his next sentence show that his head was still full of, well, rocks.
Ironically, my Pete loves rocks!  He bangs 'em.  He throws 'em.  He transfers them and hides them. Often, he even tries to eat them.  Today, we went outside and played with rocks.  Adelae tolerated it.  Pete loved it! I told the children about Peter, his confession, and what it means. Most of our conversation focused on the word "Christ", not as Jesus' last name, but a title that describes who He is and what did has done for us. We formed crosses out of rocks.   Simple and fun, and very, very Pete.

Adelae and I couldn't help but chalk on the rocks too.
We read and discussed today's readings during lunch.  I just served leftover today, but included some chocolate rock candy left over from our Christmas stockings! In a few years it would be fun to grow crystallized rock candy for Pete's day too.  Maybe in a few years.


I've linked today's readings to the online Bible Gateway, so you can read them too.  Happy Rock Day!


Acts 4:8-13
2 Peter 1:1-15
Mark 8:27-35

No comments:

Post a Comment